Monday 17 November 2014

God: the not-so-cruel comedian…

God doesn’t just laugh at your plans, He discards them.

We tell God our plans, our deepest desires and deepest dreams. We share our disappointments and sorrows and ask Him – “why?” We cry and call out desperately to a God who we think forgets us. Psalm 63 expresses our feelings of abandonment: my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you.” We think He is distant, that He wants us to realise our own strength.

How wrong we are.

We are being stalked by the love of God. When we read in Psalms 23:6 “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,” what we are actually reading is “God is hunting us down to give us His gifts, and not because we deserve them!” Following is a subtle, submissive action, but the Hebrew word King David used for ‘follow’ here is the same word as ‘stalk,’ or ‘hunt down.’ Nothing subtle about it!

God is love. He is who made our hearts and who our hearts were made for. He is everything we need. God loves us so much He couldn’t stand to just be an observer of our lives. God doesn’t sit back! He walked with Adam. He talked with Moses. He became a man, to share our humanity and give us His divinity. He suffered that we may understand just how much He loved us. “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son…” What this is actually saying is “God loved the world *like so*.” It is not simply a declaration of how much He loved us, but more HOW He loved us.

Then, He left the Earth and wasn’t content to simply be a God who was among us when He was incarnated. He is now within us. Every time we consume Him in the Eucharist, His adorable blood pulses through our veins. Does that scare you a little? Good. God likes to get personal, especially when we don’t deserve it.

We read in Stephen Chbosky’s ‘The Perks of Being a Wallflower’ that “we accept the love we think we deserve.” Yes. Yes, we do. This is the exact reason why God disregards our plans. We accept the love we think we deserve, but He knows what we deserve. He laughs at our dreams for ourselves and says ‘is that it? Just wait – wait and see what I have planned for you!’ His plans are unimaginable, inexplicable. They make our wildest human reveries look like fairy tales written by Ebenezer Scrooge.

Why? Because only He that made you knows you and knows your value. He knows what will make you happy, if only you put your life in His hands and allow Him to show you the way: and more than that, to have the courage to do what He wants, not what will merely keep you in your comfort zone.

We are not ‘stuck’ where we are at the moment. We are not here by coincidence or as a part of some cruel divine comedy God designed for His own entertainment. Our situation now is meant to prepare us for the place God wants to bring us into tomorrow. Trusting His plan is not contingent on understanding it!

See, as impatient as we are, God’s timing is not ours. He doesn’t operate on our schedule or when His plans suit us. His way is infinitely greater. He is never too early and never too late.

Maybe some of you can relate to this: I know sometimes in my life, I give God my struggles. I tell Him I want to trust Him, and to accept that I’m trying. I tell Him that at least for now, trying to trust him completely has to be enough until I can let go. Not long after this (often dramatic) resolution and promise, I get impatient. I tell God He’s too slow. He isn’t fixing it the way I want Him to. *He* isn’t enough. I snatch back my baggage only to hand it back not long after, when I realise how weak I am. On my own I am powerless, because I don’t rely on the grace from He whose “power is made perfect in weakness.” Then I pray for perseverance and the cycle starts over. Soon comes discouragement.

I’m learning - let go, let God. How can he fix me if I never relinquish control???

I am trying, as we all are. For encouragement, allow me to channel JPII: “you are not who they say you are, let me remind you who you are.”

We are children of the King, the ultimate Father who denies His children no good gift. Our King is not moved by the world. He walks with us. He knows our every step and, as we walk, He lays down the gifts of grace along our path. Have no fear, we are His. Maybe one day, in Heaven, we will join with St. Augustine in telling Our Lord: “You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness. You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness. You breathed your fragrance on me… I burned for your peace.

Yahweh promised His bride Israel, as Jesus promised His Bride, the Church (us!): “… I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.” We spoke of Psalm 63 putting into words how neglected we often feel. The psalmist later reassures us in the same stanza: “you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.

If that’s not enough, nothing will ever be. 

... Jesus, I (want to!) trust in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment